Sunday, June 27, 2010

No Waste


I was pretty annoyed to find the wind had barrelled down the side of the yard and snapped off one very healthy tomato plant laden with fruit :-(
To add to the disappointment the random roma tomato plant that started in the chook pen had run rampant and every fruit it grew had blossom end rot. Not to be defeted I picked all the green tomatoes and dumped the plants in the compost heap. It was time to make pickles!!
Green tomatoes, capsicum, chokos, onion and cucumber are the base for my version (actually my Mum's recipe). I cut the bad ends off the romas and added the capsicum that fell victim to the same wind. I ended up with 8 jars and even entered one in the local show on the weekend and got a second prize for my efforts.
A google search for 'sweet mustard pickles' should give you a huge variety of recipes to choose from and one to suit your ingredients. I was talking to the woman who got first prize and her pickles was based on cauliflower and beans.

1 comment:

Paula... said...

Well done on the second prize - you've got quite the little veggie garden going there. I would love to get one going one day, but at the moment we don't have the room or the time :(