Friday, June 4, 2010

Strawberry Express


I must admit that strawberries were not high on my list of things I wanted to grow. In the past I have paid ridiculous prices for a couple of strawberry plants that didn't produce much at all. One of my neighbour garden enthuiasts (more about them in another post) gave me a handful of scraggly strawberry runners. I didn't think much of them, just poked them in the end of a garden bed and pretty much ignored the poor things.

There was great excitement about two weeks ago when they started flowering. In my total lack of interest in them, they had flourished, doubled in size and sprouted big fat dark green leaves. Even better as each of the flowers dropped off, there was a tiny little strawberry in the making. This week has been a rewarding time at the strawberry end of the bed, not enough to 'make' anything as such, but most definately a sweet treat to share with which ever daughter is doing the 'boundary ride' with me that afternoon :-)

1 comment:

Shan's blog said...

oh ally, how wonderful! your vegie patch is sounding more devine everytime i read your blog! I hope oneday soon i too can have a patch... thanks for sharing your news!! Look forward to the next installment xx