Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Leek Experiment


I have often recycled shallots, when you cut the roots off and plant it in the garden a new shallot has grown in no time. I bought a leek the other day and it got me wondering if you could do the same thing as they look very similar. I put the leek in a little pot of water for a couple of days and the centre started to rise, so into the garden it went. Will wait and see what happens from here.
Speaking of leeks, I planted a heap of seeds into the seed raiser about a month or so back. Not one germinated, so I threw the whole lot into the vege garden in disgust. (maybe that should read I was too impatient and gave up on them too soon). Well it looks like they have all decided to germinate now to spite me! They are all over the place, not a bit of order about them. Instead of nice neat rows - it's more a patch of leek.
Looks like they are slow growing like onions, so I better open a can of patience and sit back for a while. :-)

1 comment:

Nicole C said...

ROFL, that will teach you to be impatient! I have never tried to grow leeks...