Monday, June 7, 2010

Garlic Anyone??


My sister gave me a garlic growing kit for Christmas. Very similar to the mushroom growing kits that were so popular a few years back. It was basically a styrofoam box with a bag of dirt and a garlic bulb.

I popped it away in the shed and 'almost' forgot about it! don't tell my sister! Autumn as it turns out is the right time to find things in the shed and also plant garlic ;-) phew!

I read a few articles in gardening magazines and was ready to tackle the garlic venture. Into the dirt they went. I was really suprised at how quickly they shot. Growing advice seems only to be to keep them moist, not wet, and to mulch with a layer of straw. The other thing they kept mentioning was not to use the bought/imported garlic bulbs as they had been fumigated and bleached and were not viable!!?? WHAT! if I'd realised that I would not have been buying them for the past 15 years. Well me being one to never say never, I threw a bulb and a half of the non viable stuff from the crisper on top of the straw in the styrofoam. Within a week both the root and top had sprouted :-) I have poked them all in around the edges of the two little square beds and I am pleased to report they have ALL started to grow. Come September / October I should have a big fat bulb on the bottom of every one. I am thinking those imported bulbs will have become Aussie ones by then!
If you want to have a go it's not too late. Poke them in tomorrow!

No comments: