Friday, September 3, 2010

Pickled Radish


Radish are ridiculously easy to grow. We don't even really like radish! We seemed to have a never ending supply from the first planting, so I had to do something with them.
I found a recipe that is apparently quite good with a gin and tonic, I don't think I like gin and tonic either.......

I heated 250 mL each of malt and white wine vinegar in a sauce pan with 200g sugar and 1 tsp of sea salt. I also added 1 tsp of black peppercorns. Once the sugar has dissolved and liquid has boiled you add the radish and let them cool in the liquid before bottling.

They turned out pretty good and are strangely addictive. They go nice and pink in the middle and have good crunch to them like a pickled onion. I am going to tweak the recipe and add pickling spices, more salt, garlic cloves and fresh chillis next time. I might also try just white or brown vinegar.

1 comment:

Ally said...

The photos above are actually from the second batch I made, with brown and white vinegar, pickling spices adnd garlic added. All reports are this lot was better than the first, but it still has a shocker of a smell when you open the jar??!!