Thursday, September 30, 2010

Saved and Raised :-)

The learning curve continues! I have not only managed to save seeds, I have managed to get them to germinate and now have them in the seed raiser. I let a couple of cos lettuce go to seed, mainly because we had enough of the pick and come again lettuce to keep us going, and so the flowers would attract native and domestic bees to pollinate the other veges in the bed.
I really had no idea what to do, but as the flowers died, I picked them off and under the tiny fuzzy bits were the seeds, hundreds of them on each plant actually.
I stored them in a paper bag to dry out a little more, I even cut the not quite ready flower heads off and put them in the bag too.
I planted them out about a week ago, and today I have tiny little cos lettuce peeking through.

No comments: