Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Dilemma ....

Been thinking .....

So how does self sufficient work in the southern climate? I am spoilt with the sub tropical climate here in SE Qld and there is little we cannot grow. The book I have been gathering inspiration from is Nthn NSW based. Pretty much everything will grow quickly. I am frustrated by the slow growing of our winter plantings, so it got me thinking about the southern areas of NSW and Vic and how your vege patches fare, and how you cope with the slower growing season. Probably quite naive of me, having never grown in those areas. Is there a whole range of veges to concentrate on for cold climates? The food miles travelled is a big factor in my purchasing and if it's not sourced locally we can go without.
I did read in one of many gardening magazines how a Melbourne gardener pushes her wheelbarrow of herbs and veges around the garden to get as much sunlight as possible. I admire her dedication, but I am sure she reaps the benefits.

Input please!!

1 comment:

Paula... said...

Sorry I can't help I'm so not a gardener - my plants survive on sheer neglect and if they don't survive, they were no good for me in the first place LOL