Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Discoveries!!

Two discoveries over the weekend .....
Two of my potatoe bushes died -just up and died! The rest in that patch are still merrily growing away. I pulled them up and only found a few marble size potatoes. Bugger - how disappointing!
According to crop rotation, corn can go in where the potatoes were, so I started to prepare the soil for the impending corn planting (kernals are in the seed raiser as we speak!) and lo and behold there is my potato crop! I didn't look hard enough or dig deep enough, I ignorantly assumed there were none. The plants obviously thought their job was done, they are supposed to die down when it's time to harvest.

Second discovery was that two of my broccoli are actually cabbages! Must have put cabbage seeds in at the same time. They are a savoy variety, a nice deep green with crinkly leaves.
The broccoli all have nice little baby heads of broccoli in the centre, so fingers crossed the cabbage moth stay away, so far we are grub free! I did read to deter cabbage moths to put egg shells (white side up) in the garden beds and they will think there is already a moth population and they will move on.
Two valuable lessons learnt in the past couple of days - always look a bit harder for potatoes and lable your seed pots properly!!

3 comments:

Paula... said...

Life is full of surprises :)

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site ally-takeitorleaveit.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

Ally said...

I will need more information Anonymous :-)