Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Composting 101

I love my compost! seriously!

It is free to make and such a boost to the garden beds. We use mainly the grass clippings from the lawn, fallen leaves, spent vege plants and shredded newspaper. Our kitchen scraps go to the chooks. Because they are in a mobile pen, every time it gets moved I rake the area into the compost heap (conveniently all located on the same stretch of yard)

This is the first really successful compost heap I have had (or maybe just the one I have had the most interest in). It is hard to believe that all that left over stuff breaks down to the rich crumbly soil I am pulling out from the bottom. Oh - and it's a good work out turning it every week or so!

I had every intention of taking a photo, but time got away this afternoon. I will try and add it tomorrow.

1 comment:

Nicole C said...

Now I think your name should be Felicity!!